Tech Byte: Telling Stories With Google Maps

Everybody’s Using Google Maps to Tell Digital Stories – And Not Just in Geography Class.Tech Bytes Logo

This week’s Tech Byte gives you a chance to try a taste of a great, free online resource for making map(s) which tell a digital story.

Below is an excerpt from an excellent tutorial by Technology Integration Facilitator Silvia Tolisano from her blog “Langwitches.” She is an amazing blogger who has written quite a few other excellent tutorials about edtech. I hope that someday my blog can be as useful and insightful as hers. First, a couple of terms you will need to be familiar with:

Digital Storytelling denotes using new digital tools to help ordinary people tell their own ‘true stories’ in a compelling and emotionally engaging form. These stories usually take the form of a relatively short story (less than 8 minutes). Educators use it as a method of building engagement and multimedia literacy. They can include web-based stories, interactive stories, hypertexts, and narrative computer games. (The information featured today is Part V in Silvia’s series about Digital Storytelling.)

Mashups are a combinations of various media like video, web sites, audio, links, etc. .

Helpful and explicit instructions, screen shots, and examples of how to create a free GoogleMaps account (and use it) are included in her post, which I now quote:

DIGITAL STORYTELLING WITH GOOGLE MAPS

“Understanding is directly related to being able to connect new material, facts, ideas, and concepts to previously learned knowledge…. Thanks to a company named Google, we no longer are confined to a photo album, a world map with push pins or a heavy family atlas to connect stories and images from around the world. Thanks to Web 2.0 tools, we can mash-up media, such as photos, videos, audio, and links that take us to explore further to TELL a story in more detail and with more connections to the world around us than ever before. We can invite others to collaborate in telling a story that has many perspectives, memories, or meanings.

How can you or your students write a story with a map?

1. Create a Scavenger Hunt around the World
2. Use an image of a place anywhere on Earth or your own backyard as a story starter
3. Map the settings of a book you are reading
4. Write a collective “Where have you been this summer” as a class
5. Follow a biography of an important character in history and events that influenced or were influenced by him
6. Tell the story of learning and where that took place in your classroom in a school year.

Check out what these example sites that use maps to tell a story:

* Google LitTrips
This site is an experiment in teaching great literature in a very different way. Using Google Earth, students discover where in the world the greatest road trip stories of all time took place …
* Find a Story-Map a Story- Tell a Story
There is an interesting relationship between place, story and community. As we revisit these places in our memory, we realize how stories naturally attached themselves to places from our past and how they shape us in the present.”

I dare you to visit “Digital Storytelling With Google Maps”!

With thanks to: http://langwitches.org/blog/2008/05/27/digital-storytelling-part-v-google-maps/

83 thoughts on “Tech Byte: Telling Stories With Google Maps

1. Google map has been a great advantage for me since it has came to market.Wherever i go i feel no tension to find my desired destination through google maps.

2. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

3. I have to be honest and say that [our] group finds science in the BBC to be in rude health and there was a real commitment and passion amongst the science correspondents and science commissioning editors to bring science into the mainstream,

4. It comes out of that oven piping hot and picture perfect. I could still hear the sizziling as it sat in front of me – that oh so good popping and crackling that teases you to try a bite. But, an experienced diner knows this will only ruin your meal because your taste buds and tongue will burn and make it a bittersweet meal.

5. wonderful publish, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

6. Well, the article is actually the sweetest topic on this related issue. I fit in
    with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your forthcoming updates.

7. I’m so glad I was finally able to post on your wonderful site. The group on Inside the Dodgers gave me instructions. I will definitely try this place the next time I’m in the area. I too am a thin crust person. I will look forward to your future reviews and continue having a great season with the Dodgers……….hoping to see you in the playoffs!

8. Thank you for this purpose solutions stunning judgement; this is the kind of bit where is constantly my opinion even out there day time.There are without doing awkward exorcizes drawn out been quite would like all-around for your targeted web-site more suitable after My became aware information on kinds of from the detailed partner and so seemed to be to grateful people was at an actual position to get the item right after looking for for a short time. Being a well planned doodlekit, So i am completely happy to get elsewhere others carrying gumption as well which include into the online community. I merely selected to assess to provide a family passion of your issue like it is moderately continuously pushing, furthermore so much world-wide-web authors fail to locate the credit rating they’ll will probably want to have in effect. Do encouraging I will never see come back for a second time all of which will mail outdoors primarily your colleagues.

9. There are without doing awkward exorcizes drawn out been quite would like all-around for your targeted web-site more suitable after My became aware information on kinds of from the detailed partner and so seemed to be to grateful people was at an actual position to get the item right after looking for for a short time

10. I used to tether my analog phone to lap top computer with fax modem/PCMCIA card, scan delivery files into laptop computer and fax proof of deliveries from the sleeper in Peterbilt. Training workshops were completed via internet using same hookup. Now the phone is a stand alone center of a wide variety of applications.

11. Wow!!! I’m bowled by your volume of know-how. I am so fascinated. I think you have in-depth knowledge on this matter. I’m sure you are talented? Carry on.

12. I admire Ivan Illich too much, because even he was dieing, he never rested, and tried over and over again to find a solution to his disease. He didn’t find the cure, but he advanced pretty much…His advances without doubts will be useful in a close future.

13. Well, the article is actually the sweetest topic on this related issue. I fit in

14. Immediately, the post is in reality the sweetest on this laudable subject. I agree with your conclusions and also surely will eagerly look forward to your approaching updates. Simply just saying thanks certainly will not basically be enough, for the incredible lucidity inside your writing. I surely will appropriate away grab your rss feed to stay privy of any kind of updates. Extremely great function and significantly success in your business efforts!

15. Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Terrific blog and excellent style and design.

16. I assumed it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I’ll put up a link to this web page on my blog. I am certain my guests will discover that very helpful

17. I have to be honest and say that [our] group finds science in the BBC to be in rude health and there was a real commitment and passion amongst the science correspondents and science commissioning editors to bring science into the mainstream,”